Draft 1 (25 Oct):
Research Methodology: Mohamed and I talked to 10 girls (students) and women (cleaning workers) from AUC about the comments they’d hear from parents, extended family, friends and workers e.g. security guards and housekeepers as they were growing up. We asked them on how people reacted to their decisions if they did not fit the stereotype and how they felt about it. Lastly, we asked them to summarize their life in a few stages (if they were willing to) so that these real life experiences could help us build our storyline and pave the different scenarios. Then, we gathered all the comments they made and the suggestions and added them to the game. Even though, some of the insight they gave us was already very close to what we included in our game as some of these scenarios were based on things I would hear as a little girl and in school – some of the information they provided us with was very surprising.
Final Draft (30 Oct):
Reflection: Based on the feedback we had gotten we realized that the game was achieving its purpose of trying to raise awareness for Egyptians on how their unfair treatment of females, their words, their unrepresentative stereotype-based beliefs and the dictated cultural gender roles, put females through hardships and emotional pain on a daily basis. Through this game, it made male players both Egyptians and foreigners empathize with females in the Egyptian society as they “experienced the friction of society” (just like Keegan had expressed) over each life decision they made. We also got feedback from female players that this game was very relatable. These comment were very pleasing to hear.
However, we needed to make some changes to our game in order to enhance the storyline and gaming experience. Initially, we had a black and white minimalist theme in place but we were told that we needed to add images in order to convey the message even more. Therefore, we set a theme for the game revolving around female empowerment and added images to each slide to try to help the players feel like they are present in the situation. Each of the images we added to the game we had gotten using google searches with one of two usage filters: labeled for reuse and labeled for noncommercial reuse. This was in order to ensure we weren’t infringing any of the artists rights.
Additionally, we had received feedback on making the scenarios in our game more realistic and complex because we had several rare-case scenarios in place. And so, we made adjustments to our scenarios and revolved it solely on the experiences our research participants have shared in order to give the game a more realistic touch. Furthermore, in our first draft we had cemented the choices that involve resisting sexism and traditional gender roles as the ones that pave the road for successful, progressive women – while, sticking to the gender roles would always lead to unhappiness and little future prospects. However, we had to change that by making the decisions less binding to these scenarios and so we tried to highlight the relative safety of the traditional path and the struggles that a woman experiences when she does work against societal norms. This was to ensure that our game was not biased, and once again realistic, as the end scenarios were representative to an extent to real life as each lifestyle has its upsides and its downsides.
Lastly, if we had more time we would have stretched out our scenarios by adding more life stages and a wider variety of decisions for each stage – in order to be able to create a more wholesome game. Additionally, we would have also included secondary research about the topic as adding facts and statistics would make the game more educational and would help the audience empathize even more as these concrete statements will make them feel how real these scenarios are. Moreover, we would have liked to develop our game using a more creative software to create the game in the form of a storybook as it is relevant to our theme since our game revolves around the life story of girls but it was hard to find a software that allowed us to do so and inklewriter although it’s similar it was not what we were looking for as we couldn’t add images and colors.
Links to images used in the game: